We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £35,845.00 – £49,533 Lecturer / £51,034-£59,153 Senior Lecturer
Closing Date: 24 February 2021
We seek to appoint a Senior Lecturer or Lecturer in Marketing (Teaching & Research) whose Teaching can contribute to the ongoing development and delivery of our undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, and Research to the further development of our Marketing: Consumers, Communications and Services Research Community. You will be committed to the success and development of Newcastle University Business School. You will have a sustained international research and scholarly profile or trajectory in Marketing, with an interest in interdisciplinary research. We are particularly interested in applicants with an interest in consumer behaviour and marketing communications. You will have the motivation to connect positively with organisations, and care about nurturing academic colleagues and students to reach their potential.
You must have a PhD in Marketing or a related area, as well as the ability to: secure external research funding, publish in internationally recognised journals and conduct research with the potential to create impact. You will be able to demonstrate research excellence/potential as evidenced by high quality publications. Candidates for the Senior Lecturer post are expected to take responsibility in a management role and demonstrate capacity to lead in the delivery of outstanding teaching and programme management in higher education that prepare our students for the Future of Work.
The level of appointment will be determined by your ability to meet the requirements of the person specification and job description.
Informal enquiries about this position can be made to Professor Natalia Yannopoulou, Head of the Marketing, Operations & Systems Subject Group, at Natalia.Yannopoulou@newcastle.ac.uk
Newcastle University Business School is located in Newcastle City Centre and at the gateway to the Newcastle Helix, a £350million partnership between Newcastle University, Newcastle City Council and Legal and General, where business meets Science. Home to 4000 students, Newcastle University Business School is one of an elite group of Business Schools worldwide to hold triple accreditation from the three internationally recognised accreditation bodies: AMBA, AACSB, and EQUIS. This places the School in the top 1% of business schools worldwide and is testament to our reputation for Teaching and Research. Our vision is to be globally renowned for the Future of Work and developing students for a future they can shape.
For more information about Newcastle University Business School, please visit our website https://www.ncl.ac.uk/business-school/
The University has developed an Academic Job Summary Guidance document which summarises the range of activities that academic staff may be expected to perform.
- To have a commitment to high quality teaching and learning and student support;
- Provide high quality teaching of modules within the Business School;
- Coach and support students throughout their studies in the role of personal tutor;
- Set and mark assessment of modules in accordance with University standards and utilise on-line and digitised curricula and education frameworks;
- Contribute to curriculum development;
- Provide education for life, that engages, challenges and supports our students to discover and fulfil their potential both while they are studying with us and once they have graduated;
- Pursue external funding;
- Contribute to the research profile of the Business School by publishing in high quality journals, demonstrating impact and winning external research funding;
- Conduct research that demonstrates international standards of excellence in terms of originality, significance and rigour in the subject area of Marketing and ensure all our students benefit from studying in a research intensive, research excellent academic environment;
- Demonstrate impact by developing research-based solutions to real-world problems and engage with external stakeholders to develop the impact of your work;
- Contribute to the Business School Vision and Strategy and the interdisciplinary themes of the Future of Work and leading on leadership;
- Contribute to the Business School’s Triple Accreditation and Professional Body Accreditations;
- Operate as an active citizen in the Business School community;
In addition for Senior Lecturer level:
- As a senior colleague, make a positive citizenship contribution to the School
- To provide academic leadership to colleagues, students and attract and supervise PGR students in a research-led university
Person Specification (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills & Experience
- Evidence of the ability to provide an outstanding educational experience, rooted in strong disciplinary Marketing knowledge that engages, challenges, and inspires our students.
- Evidence of or potential for internationalising the curricula
- Make effective use of technology to enhance learning
- Evidence of/potential to develop and secure grant capture and/or impact
- Evidence of effective use of discplinary and proactive research and a developing international research profile
- Evidence of the potential to contribute to the Marketing Research Community
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent organisational, time management and presentation skills
- Evidence of potential active citizenship in a Business School
- Experience or potential for undertaking a management and leadership role
- Commitment to equality, diversity and inclusion and ethics, responsibility and sustainability
- Evidence of potential to contribute to the Business School Vision and Strategy
In addition for Senior Lecturer level:
- Experience of holistic, integrated programme-level design of learning, teaching and assessment strategies, to deliver learning opportunities that engage, challenge and inspire our students
- Evidence of internationalising the curricula
- An established research profile and proven track record in international and world-leading publication
- A track record of securing external researchfunding
- A track record of engaging with external stakeholders, generating real-world impact from research
- Experience of supervising research students to completion
- Skills in organisation and leadership necessary for undertaking a management and leadership role (e.g. in teaching and learning, research, impact or external engagement)
- A good Honours degree in a relevant subject
- A profile with currency which meets external accreditation bodies criteria
- PhD (or equivalent) at or near completion in a relevant subject
- Professional Body Membership as appropriate to the Subject area (Desirable)
In addition for Senior Lecturer level:
- PhD (or equivalent) in a relevant subject
- HE Teaching qualification (or equivalent experience)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The School holds a bronze Athena SWAN award in addition to the University’s silver award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 5252