We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £21,814.00 – £23,067.00 per annum
Closing Date: 14 July 2021
We are seeking to recruit a highly motivated and enthusiastic individual to work in our Undergraduate Admissions Team at Newcastle University. This will be a full time open ended post.
The role involves handling enquiries and applications from students from across the globe. Primarily you will be processing applications for undergraduate programmes – making selection decisions on applications, maintaining admission records, generating appropriate correspondence and responding to applicant and academic selectors’ enquiries.
You will be required to develop an expert understanding of university entry requirements and qualifications from UK and International applicants. Previous experience of student recruitment and admissions is desirable. You will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and a commitment to deliver an outstanding customer experience in an internationally-focused environment. You will be numerate, and possess strong IT skills. You will have experience of working within a busy, high-volume customer focused service, and be able to work accurately with outstanding attention to detail.
Please note that leave may be restricted during periods of peak workload for student recruitment and admissions. The main peak period is August – September.
For informal enquiries please contact Adam Thoburn,Undergraduate Admissions Manageradam.email@example.com
• Providing operational support in the field of student recruitment and admissions. This will include customer relationship activity and/or admissions decision making and processing
• Developing and maintaining effective working relationships with: prospective students, recruitment partners and other external stakeholders; and with colleagues across recruitment, admissions, academic units and central services
• Communicating with prospective students and their representatives, providing prompt and accurate information, advice and admissions decisions, and delivering an excellent customer experience
• Maintaining accurate records relating to prospective students, admissions and student recruitment
• Contributing to ongoing initiatives in support of continuous improvement in process and policy
• Developing a comprehensive knowledge and understanding of prospective students, recruitment partners, and global higher education systems and qualifications
• Maintaining operational systems and processes and ensuring compliance with policy and procedures
• Provide guidance, training and support to colleagues
• Contribute to the effective and efficient running of the service through a collaborative team approach, providing assistance to colleagues as appropriate
• Provide assistance to, and cover for, other areas of Student and Academic Services and International Office as required
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Ability to work both independently and flexibly as part of a multi-disciplinary team. Ability to use initiative and prioritise own workload in a dynamic environment
• Ability to build and maintain strong internal and external working relationships, and to work in a confidential and discrete manner
• Proven experience of working in a busy, high volume, customer focused environment
• Strong attention to detail with a commitment to data accuracy and integrity. Ability to work quickly and accurately to strict deadlines
• Excellent IT skills and the ability to work with a range of digital systems. Experience of using large digital systems to input data, maintain records, extract information and produce documents and reports
• Excellent organisational and administrative skills
• Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including those relating to tact and discretion, and the ability to relate to, and interact with, persons with diverse cultural backgrounds
• Ability to assimilate a wide range of, sometimes complex, information and provide support and advice to prospective students, staff and stakeholders as appropriate. This will include the ability to interpret and apply knowledge of a range of policies, procedures, regulatory and legislative matters
• Experience of student recruitment, international engagement, admissions or related areas in the HE sector or a comparable business environment is desirable.
Attributes and Behaviour
• Is factually correct and gives consistent verbal and non- verbal messages
• Tailors content of communication to the audience, changing style, tone and format appropriately
• Clear and concise
Planning and Organising
• Effective at managing a variable and heavy workload
• Plans workload in and tasks in a systematic way
• Ensures that all activities are completed on time
• Uses own and others’ time effectively
• Respects the expertise and contribution of others even if own opinion is different
• Shares relevant and useful information with others
• Keeps other team members up to date with progress
• Willing to help others and share workloads
• Supportive of team decisions
• Asks others’ opinion
• Demonstrates high energy and commitment to the delivery of excellent service
• Knows and understands customer needs in terms of area output
• Has a positive attitude for doing things better
• Pays attention to detail
• Gathers relevant information and facts
• Keeps up to date with University issues
• Is wary of assuming things
• Has an eye for detail, spotting errors and ensuring accuracy of information
• Educated to A Level or equivalent
• Educated to Degree level or equivalent or an appropriate combination of relevant qualifications and demonstrable transferrable experience is desirable.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 9145