We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £25,941.00per annum
Closing Date:1 July2021
This is an exciting opportunity to join the technical team based in the School Biomedical, Nutritional and Sport Sciences to support practical delivery of our taught degree programmes, including our new MSc in Exercise Physiology.
You will assume a senior position in a team of dedicated technicians supporting the operation of the School’s state of the art, recently constructed laboratories and associated facilities. You will have a particular focus on providing technical support to students undertaking taught practical sessions and research projects.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual with a keen interest and significant, demonstrable technical experience in Sport and Exercise Science, including thorough working knowledge of relevant health and safety procedures. There will be opportunity to actively contribute to the development and design of exciting, engaging practical sessions and research projects; supporting our students as they develop practical skills and research experience on their chosen courses.
You should have excellent team working skills, good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to interact with our students and colleagues at all levels.
This is an full-time, open ended post.
Informal enquiries should be directed to Dr. Dean Allerton (School Team Leader Sport and Nutrition) via Tel: 0191 208 7474 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• In conjunction with the Technical Manager (or as delegated responsibility via the Team Leader) to be responsible for the day-to- day operation of specific laboratory facilities and/or equipment. To undertake or oversee relevant fault diagnosis, testing, repair, calibration, and preventative maintenance on instrumentation under the role’s responsibility.
• To train and advise staff and students in appropriate laboratory techniques and good laboratory practice to ensure that they can carry out their work in a safe manner. To provide laboratory supervision and training for postgraduate and undergraduate project students and, occasionally, for other technical staff using the facilities to ensure safe working practices are followed.
• In conjunction with staff and students as appropriate, identify consumable and equipment requirements and initiate their ordering according to University purchasing procedures. Keep financial records of any activities as directed by the Technical team leader team.
• Complete a range of maintenance activities and repairs.
• Liaise with suppliers and manufacturers to resolve problems and investigate replacement options.
• Advise on equipment capabilities demonstrating how results can be achieved.
• By developing local procedures, establish and maintain a safe/compliant working environment.
• Hold specific safety responsibilities.
• Assist with the completion and updating of a wide range of safety paperwork.
• Oversee compliance tasks ensuring timely completion and maintenance of appropriate records.
• Complete accident reporting and assist with investigations.
• Maintain broad and up-to-date health and safety knowledge providing support/advice to others.
• Provide management, motivation and support to a technical team of broad remit.
• Schedule, prioritise and monitor work and performance in line with demands and deadlines.
• Hold delegated responsibility from the academic lead/technical lead for the planning, operation and supervision of a variety of lab spaces.
• Work collaboratively with other areas to ensure efficiency and elimination of duplicated effort.
• Organise and facilitate progress and management meetings.
• Be a key contributor to service development, delivery and planning.
• Contribute to and support change.
• Oversee local record keeping, inventory and asset management.
• Budget monitoring and supervise stores operations.
• Source and negotiate with suppliers for a range of items including specialist parts/equipment.
• Create, update, and implement procedures to deliver an aligned, efficient and effective service.
• Provide a broad range of skilled support for research and teaching in area of specialism.
• Prepare and manufacture a range of samples with limited direction.
• Manage equipment and space bookings & assist with any recharging.
• Contribute to small- and large-scale building works.
• Design, develop and deliver inductions, demonstrations and training covering a broad range of activities (not limited to techniques and equipment).
• Assist managers with the identification of training and development needs.
• Develop a broad knowledge and skills base, sharing with others.
• Mentor junior staff.
• Any other duties within the scope and general nature of the grade which may be required.
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
• Demonstrable work experience in a relevant technical /role
• Thorough working knowledge of Health and Safety procedures
• Excellent team working skills
• Demonstrates technical and problem-solving capability
• Demonstrates good organising ability to meet deadlines, with a positive and proactive approach to duties and diligence and attention to detail
• Substantial laboratory experience specific to role
• Contribute to design and specification of research/teaching activities (Desirable)
• Ability to adapt to changes in laboratory priorities (Desirable)
Attributes and Behaviour
• Tact, diplomacy and able to handle difficult situations
• Ability to meet deadlines with effective time and resource management.
• Clear communicator and active listener
• Consistent and appropriate approach to staff and situations
• Use of feedback for process improvement and staff development
• Team player, self-starter and able to manage complex workload
• Ability to respond enthusiastically and positively to undergraduate students
• BTEC HNC / HND; or A’ level (or equivalent) qualification; or broad work experience acquired through a combination of vocational training and considerable on-the-job experience, demonstrating development through progressively more demanding relevant roles.
• Professional registration with an accredited professional body (including HEA) or working towards this on appointment
• BTEC HNC / HND; or A’ level (or equivalent) qualification in a sport related subject area (Desirable)
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent.We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
The University holds a silver Athena SWAN award in recognition of our good employment practices for the advancement of gender equality. The University also holds the HR Excellence in Research award for our work to support the career development of our researchers, and is a member of the Euraxess initiative supporting researchers in Europe.
Requisition ID: 8965