We are a world class research-intensive university. We deliver teaching and learning of the highest quality. We play a leading role in economic, social and cultural development of the North East of England. Attracting and retaining high-calibre people is fundamental to our continued success.
Salary: £19,133.00 per annum (pro – rata)
Closing Date: 5 March 2021
Working within the Special Collections & Archives team and liaising closely with our Library Research Reserve Team, you will assist in the storage, preservation, administration, listing, and fulfilment of service requests relating to the University Library’s most unique and distinctive collections.
The position will primarily be based at our Team Valley Research Reserve but will require multi-site working across our Libraries and purpose-built stores.
Informal enquiries may be made to: Ian Johnson (Head of Special Collections and Archives) via tel: 0191 208 7671 or email: Ian.Johnson@ncl.ac.uk.
Further information about Newcastle Universiy Library can be found here.
The post is part time at 18.5 hours per week and the work pattern is negotiable.
- Assisting Special Collections Librarian and Archivists in listing and making available for use archives and rare books held in stores.
- Close liaison with the Research Reserve Team to ensure consistency in use of shared storage and workplace facilities.
- Responding to e-mail, telephone, written and face to face enquiries about Special Collections in accordance with the Library’s standards.
- Supervising customers when using Special Collections material as and when required.
- Assisting in the routine management of Special Collections Stores, including retrieving, shelving and reshelving, environmental monitoring, and reporting.
- Collating and reporting statistical data pertaining to the use of Special Collections and Archives.
- Assessing, cleaning, and repackaging material as required prior to storage.
- Organising the Special Collections Reading Room timetable, as and when required.
- Copying material in response to customer requests under the direction of the Special Collections team as required.
- 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) at Grade C or above, including Maths and English or equivalent work experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Working knowledge of Special Collections and Archives.
- Knowledge and/or experience of working in an academic library or similar customer focused environment.
- Good IT skills and an awareness of the use of IT in library services – experience of using a library management system.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, with the confidence to respond to enquiries from a range of different users – academic staff, students, schoolchildren, external researchers, members of the public.
- Ability to manage own work and time effectively, with minimal supervision.
- Capable of working as both an individual and as part of a team.
- Physically fit to carry crates, move equipment, push trolleys and shelve material.
- Ability and fitness to work at height.
- Full clean driving licence and the ability to drive library vehicles (Desirable).
Attributes and Behaviour
- Shares relevant and useful information with others.
- Respects the value that different views bring to the team.
- Co-operates with others in achieving targets.
- Takes responsibility for achieving own targets.
- Has a positive attitude for doing things better.
Newcastle University is committed to being a fully inclusive Global University which actively recruits, supports and retains staff from all sectors of society. We value diversity as well as celebrate, support and thrive on the contributions of all our employees and the communities they represent. We are proud to be an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications from everybody, regardless of race, sex, ethnicity, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, age, disability, gender identity, marital status/civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, as well as being open to flexible working practices.
Requisition ID: 5871