Research Fellow/Senior Research Fellow in Augmented Reality and Artificial Intelligence in Endonasal Surgery
Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering
Duties and Responsibilities
We are excited to announce a EPSRC funded project to develop a new platform for Augmented Reality (AR) endonasal surgery, powered by Artificial Intelligence (AI). Our vision is to develop an AR system that is more accurate than current methods, that automatically adapts to the surgical scene and is designed from the ground up to be easier to use in the operating theatre. We are looking to hire outstanding researchers to join a multidisciplinary team of clinicians and engineers at the Wellcome/EPSRC Centre for Interventional and Surgical Sciences (WEISS) at University College London (UCL). We need expertise in Human Computer Interaction, Computer Vision, AI and AR to bring this vision to life, and deliver a clinical prototype. These roles would be an excellent opportunity for researchers interested in machine learning, image-guidance, image registration, surgical workflow recognition, HCI and the application of engineering to surgical interventions in general.
Main duties and responsibilities include designing, implementing and testing, novel, software-based algorithms for image-alignment, shaping reconstruction and other algorithms as needed for a complete AR systems and contributing to the preparation and drafting of research bids and proposals.
This post is funded until 31 October 2024 in the first instance.
- PhD degree, or equivalent experience in an appropriate subject.
- Publications as first or last author in peer-reviewed international academic journals on topics within the scope of the job description
- Software engineering ability (e.g. Python/C++, Pytorch, Tensorflow)
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team
- Experience of engagement in clinical translation of medical technologies (Essential for Grade 8)
- Teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels and other forms of public presentation (Essential for Grade 8)
- Experience in leading independent research projects (Essential for Grade 8)
- Please see the full list of requirements on the JD attached
A job description and person specification can be accessed at the bottom of this page.
To apply for the vacancy please click on the Apply Now button below.
If you have any queries regarding the vacancy or the application process, please contact Matt Clarkson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We particularly welcome female applicants and those from an ethnic minority, as they are under-represented within UCL at this level.
UCL Taking Action for Equality
We will consider applications to work on a part-time, flexible and job share basis wherever possible.
16 Jan 2022
Latest time for the submission of applications
Our department holds an Athena SWAN Bronze award, in recognition of our commitment to advancing gender equality.
This appointment is subject to UCL Terms and Conditions of Service for Research and Support Staff.
Please use these links to find out more about UCL working life including the benefits we offer and UCL Terms and Conditions related to this job.