Working under the direction of the Communications Manager, this post is responsible for the development and implementation of marketing, public affairs and communications plans for the College of Social Sciences in order to grow the reputation and profile of the Schools and their constituent parts. The post holder will work closely with the Schools in order to deliver a flexible and innovative approach across the broad spectrum of communications and marketing.
The post holder will work closely with the rest of the team and proactively across the College to deliver a strategy which represents the evolving operating environment in each of the distinct sectors with which we work across our areas. Working across the whole spectrum of marketing and communications, and experienced in both digital and offline marketing communications, the post holder will manage and implement multiple projects across research communications, public engagement, policy impact, and profile raising activity.
The Marketing and Communications Officer will deliver tailored and targeted action plans across activities as necessary and will work collaboratively with a number of key staff to develop key strategic relationships with and for the College. As part of the College’s Marketing and Communications team, the post holder will also take a lead role in College-wide initiatives as required and as directed by the Communications Manager, the Public Affairs Manager and Head of Marketing and Communications, and will also work closely with the University’s wider External Relations team, in particular the University Public Affairs team.
- Develop and deliver marketing communications plans that deliver against key objectives in relation to multiple stakeholders in line with the University and College Strategic Frameworks and research communications strategies, raising the profile of our research and impact both internally and externally.
- Develop communications plans for key priority College research areas including REF impact case studies and promoting areas of research expertise aligning with key research bids, this includes developing College and University campaigns, i.e. Unfiltered Lives, Birmingham Heroes
- Take forward stakeholder influence work with a focus on public affairs, including supporting with identifying relevant experts, providing policy briefings and support with events and visits.
- Engage with internal stakeholders and form strong professional relationships across marketing and communications community. Develop strong links with senior academic staff to gain an understanding of strategic priorities within the College. Effectively and proactively engage with academic and professional colleagues from across the Schools (and wider College including the College Research Support Office and Business Engagement Partner) to seek out opportunities.
- Work with the Communications Manager and other relevant senior stakeholders to identify and agree on key priorities and touch-points throughout the academic year, whilst being able to respond to changing external situations and internal University priorities.
- Work with colleagues across the College to grow the events portfolio and turn this into a coherent external offering to a range of key stakeholders.
- Encourage engagement and growth of media coverage of academic colleagues in the College working closely with colleagues in the University Communications team, and in particular the Communications Manager for Social Sciences and the Arts.
- Encourage growth of College’s presence in commentary pieces and other associated PR activity through further engagement with academic staff (Birmingham Briefs, The Conversation, Social Sciences Blog, trade press, high-quality journals, and University website).
- Develop and deliver training and development activities for academic staff enabling them to engage effectively with key stakeholders, including but not limited to the media, policy influencers, general public, and internal stakeholders.
- Identify opportunities for public engagement and work with relevant stakeholders (internal and external) to make this happen where appropriate.
- Liaise with appropriate colleagues to review, design, write and produce range of online and offline collateral to represent the College’s research and consultancy activity across a broad range of channels and to a broad range of stakeholders.
- Work with Marketing and Communications team colleagues to continually improve website copy to reflect the College’s strengths, including working with academics to improve ‘writing for the web’ skills of the community, and rewriting and developing new digital content as appropriate
- Liaise closely with colleagues from across the institution to develop and grow the internal profile of the College and its Schools, ensuring all opportunities are explored and disseminated accordingly.
- Ensure that the reputation and brand of the University, College and its Schools, is supported and adhered to at all times, working with University Communications, Creative Media and other colleagues as appropriate.
- Degree-level education or equivalent work experience
- Experience of devising, and delivering, multi-channel strategic communications plans
- Good level of experience of working in a marketing or communications environment
- Event management experience, involving internal and external stakeholders
- Experience of translating complex information into accessible communications and multiple channels
- Demonstrable understanding of the complexities and competing factors related to research environment and higher education
- Proven copywriting ability for a range of audiences and communications channels
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a ‘can-do’ attitude
- Enthusiastic approach with an ability to bring people together to work on a common cause
- Ability to influence people in senior positions
- Management and supervisory experience
- A proven, high standard of written and oral communication and confidence of dealing with projects at all levels
- Well-developed administrative and organisational skills with a proven ability to pay meticulous attention to detail
- Tenacious, with a creative and innovative approach to problem solving
- Computer literate, confident and competent in the use of database systems and electronic communication
- Experience of using social media as part of a marketing or communications campaign
- Experience of coordinating and evaluating digital advertising campaigns
- Ability to use analytics and interpret data to inform your work
- Experience of using CMS and CRM software
- Ability to work with initiative and being able to prioritise work in a pressured environment and manage multiple workloads simultaneusly
- A team player but someone who can work independently
- Experience of administering budgets and using financial systems
- Flexibility to work out of hours as required (including occasional evening and weekend work) and a willingness to travel where necessary
- Prepared to undertake occasional work in the evenings and weekends with some nights spent away from home.
For informal inquiries please contact Ceara Wason – firstname.lastname@example.org
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity at The University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community’