The post holder is responsible for:
• managing the University’s Network & Telecoms infrastructure, associated continuity, resilience and up time
• providing and managing the technical support for the ongoing operation and performance of the Network & Telecoms infrastructure, including core and edge networks and external connections
• supporting network strategy – the development of the campus network and external network connections in support of the University’s mission and strategic plans
This is initially a 1yr post supporting the Network & Telecoms Manager it will be responsible for continued development of leading edge network technologies and implementing further investment in the network over the next 3-5 years, to deliver optimal performance, high reliability, resilience and advanced functionality to staff, students and visitors of the University.
• Working in line with Core Infrastructure management to support, develop and implement a network strategy to provide high quality networks and network services to high levels of reliability, resilience and performance in support of the University’s mission and strategic plans.
• Responsible for maintaining reliable and resilient Core, Distribution, Edge and PoE and telecoms networks and associated infrastructures to agreed operational standards.
• Support future Network Upgrade projects to achieve the objectives in (2) above.
• Working with the security team to assist in the development and then implementation of appropriate network security policies and standards to protect the University against unauthorised access and external attack.
• Maintain user and network address registration systems and network address services (DNS, DHCP) for the efficient and accurate registration of users and machines on University Networks.
• Support the evaluation and development new and emerging network technologies to meet current and future requirements of the University and Professional Services, working in collaboration with Colleges and other divisions of IT Services to migrate them into service operation.
• Maintain effective communications with colleges and administrative departments on network related issues to help ensure mutual understanding of requirements and service implications, particularly in respect of quality issues, change control and service development, working in close collaboration with and in accordance with the processes and procedures defined by the Head of Service Management.
• Effectively motivate and manage a team of experienced technical staff to deliver exceptional services at a high quality and in response to customer needs
• Contribute as a member of the Core Infrastructure management team to the overall management of the department, including management of cross-sectional projects and the development of the IT Services Strategy and Operational plan.
• Build effective working relationship with other colleagues in IT Services, Estate Management Office, Colleges and administrative budget centres
• Support the development of projects involving staff from other teams in core Infrastructure, other divisions of IT Services and sometimes other budget centres, in conformance with IT Services standard project management techniques.
• Represent IT Services both inside and outside the University as required
• Undertake other such duties as may be required from time to time in furtherance of the work of IT Services
• Formal education to degree level or equivalent.
• A postgraduate qualification in a C&IT related discipline would be an advantage.
• Good knowledge of networks and telecoms technologies, including Aruba, Brocade, Fortinet and HPe, Unified Communications
• Knowledge or AWS and legacy Mitel PABX is desirable.
• Excellent customer relationship management skills.
• Proven ability to develop and manage complex network infrastructures to high levels of availability in response to customer needs
• At least 8 years relevant experience in C&IT, primarily in networks, including at least 3 years in a similar service environment.
• At least 3 years management experience.
• Management skills
• Communication skills written and oral, including the ability to communicate strategic issues
• Project management skills
• Knowledge of Higher Education and its environment
• An awareness of developments in information services of potential relevance to the University of Birmingham.
Informal enquiries can be made to Renyk de’Vandre -email@example.com
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.