Main duties and responsibilities
• Developing an employability action plan in partnership with a variety of colleagues in Jinan University and the University of Birmingham careers services, and undertaking activity that meets the requirements of this plan
• Working in partnership with academic and professional services colleagues and students, to develop and deliver a variety of initiatives; ensuring these achieve institutional quality standards and are compliant with relevant legislation and University guidelines
• Working closely with students to identify their careers ambitions and undertaking appropriate assessment of need, as required
• Developing and delivering employability related workshops and information sessions that complements, and where appropriate, signposts to services provided by JNU
• Developing online resources and information tailored to support the career needs of JBJI students
• Working with Careers Network’s International Careers Consultant, the International Employer Liaison Officer, and employers, to develop a bank of labour market information and international opportunities relevant to student aspirations for global internships and graduate jobs
• Researching targeted labour markets and to share this with Careers Network colleagues and students
• Supporting the development and delivery of a programme of activity for JBJI students on a summer placement or one year exchange programme in the UK.
• Lead on student experience initiatives, developing opportunities for student of J-BJI to feel part of the University of Birmingham global family
• Manage the orientation planning and delivery for University of Birmingham at J-BJI
• Manage the graduation ceremony planning for J-BJI in collaboration with partners at Jinan University, School of Mathematics and within the College of EPS.
• Work directly with the academic director for student experience to develop opportunities for students such as the guest lecture series
• Lead and manage the annual Summer School in UK, including marketing, visa applications and schedule
Relationship development, employer-led projects and events
• Leading on the organisation of events and workshops tailored for JBJI students. These may include skills sessions, alumni information talks, employer-led projects, employer presentations, and ‘treks’ to employer sites
• Engaging employers and professionals as speakers or presenters at events, and developing relationships with, and creating a network of, alumni who can support the employability programme for JBJI students
• Working with University of Birmingham and JNU staff to identify opportunities for employers to engage with JBJI students on campus or remotely, and leading on new projects as required
• Working with the International Office and DARO, as a point of contact for international employer and alumni enquiries
• Promoting, and supporting JBJI students participation in JNU and University of Birmingham Careers Fairs and other national or international recruitment fairs
• Marketing and promoting relevant events and opportunities through appropriate channels, including emails, social media and, where appropriate, academic contacts
Evaluation and monitoring
• Developing and monitoring robust feedback systems to allow for the effective evaluation of events and engagement and to lead on continuous quality improvement for both the JBJI student and employer experience
• Leading an annual review of the JBJI Maths employability action plan
• Monitoring and identifying new trends in growth areas to increase opportunities with employers within relevant sectors in China, the UK, and globally.
• Taking an active role within Careers Network, and the EPS College Careers team, and contributing to activities that support Maths students and / or international students in particular
• Sourcing a range of student and alumni stories to use as case studies for marketing and information sharing
• Managing expenditure in line with budget, maintaining accurate and up to date financial records; and to monitor income generation from employer events.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience Required
• Degree in a related field or equivalent, alongside significant related experience
• Good knowledge and understanding of Higher Education and the global graduate labour market, and issues impacting on student employability
• Knowledge and experience of working in an international context and an understanding of Chinese language and culture
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to form effective working relationships with students, employers, colleagues and other stakeholders
• Experience of persuading and negotiating with internal and external stakeholders
• Excellent team working skills and ability to cross-promote services
• Proven experience of delivering group work and/or advice in a similar setting
• Event management or project management experience
• Experience of writing and developing learning material and information
• Proven experience of planning and delivering events
• Experience of using data to inform priorities and activity, and using effective processes for monitoring and evaluation
• Proficiency in the use of social media plus evidence of IT literacy (e.g. Word, Excel, Outlook) and database management
• Drive and enthusiasm and the ability to work proactively
• Ability to work independently, and to manage own work programme and a budget
• Ability to travel and work in China on a regular basis
For informal enquiries and further information please contact: Richard Newman on firstname.lastname@example.org
The University is committed to safeguarding and we promote safe recruitment practice, therefore all associated pre-employment checks will be undertaken before any appointment is confirmed. Due to the nature of the work undertaken in this role all successful applicants will be subject to a satisfactory Occupational Health clearance prior to appointment.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.