Campus Services, Estates
The Maintenance Craftsperson is responsible to a Team Leader and / or their Deputy Team Leader on a day to day basis and is required to carry out work appropriate to their core specialist skills. He or she is also required to undertake within their level of competency, work of other crafts, following suitable training.
• Diagnose and repair faults in engineering installations, plant and equipment. To deal with new situations as they arise and to pass on knowledge to others.
• To interpret and work from verbal instructions, drawings and specifications appropriate to University buildings.
• Show understanding and appreciation of all elements of engineering systems in University buildings.
• Support a wide range of work of other crafts, demonstrating flexible and multi-skilled collaborative working.
• To learn new techniques and craft practices in line with evolving technology and legislative Health and Safety Requirements. This may involve attendance on training courses.
• To manufacture, assemble, erect and install new work to current standard.
• Carry out repairs, maintain and efficiently run plant and equipment.
• To work as part of a multi-disciplined team and understand fully the inter-relationship between the various maintenance crafts.
• Instruct others on aspects relating to their work.
• Recording, completing and providing essential job information via IT based systems.
• Required to participate in the on-call system as necessary to cover emergency breakdowns outside of normal working hours.
• Required to operate in various shift patterns in order to accommodate the needs of the University.
• Undertake all work in accordance with safe working practices and safe working procedures.
• Driving safely whilst obeying all traffic laws and regulations, when driving University vehicles
• Carry out such other duties as are required
• Adhere to University and Estates Office Policies & Procedures
• Full driving license
• Recognised CITB/EITB qualification or equivalent and preferably hold City and Guilds Certificates or other approved training acceptable by the University of Birmingham and the appropriate training boards
• Significant maintenance repairs experience
• Good practical working knowledge and experience of multiple disciplines
• Skills in analysing and solving a wide range of practical problems and ensuring a high quality service.
• Ability to develop improvements to processes (service organisational) and similar in collaboration with Line Manager
• Experience of working in a highly customer focussed environment
• Sound knowledge of electrical systems in general
• Significant knowledge and understanding of safe working practices and procedures
• Safe driving rules and practices
• Excellent time management and organisational skills
• Excellent communication and interpersonal relationships to interact effectively with co-workers, supervisors and customers
• Ability to clarify issues objectively and to address them by priority
• Ability to identify and report difficult situations quickly, precisely and clearly
• The ability to operate and interrogate appropriate University computerised systems after training
• Safe use of hand and power tools
• Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions
• Good literacy and numeracy skills
• Working independently or in a team
• Ability to work under pressure, often autonomously using own initiative and to agreed deadlines
• Basic IT skills including the use of Microsoft Office packages
• A focused customer-service attitude
• A proactive attitude towards work
• Good communication supporting customer’s needs and communicating with them in a suitable and professional manner. Keep customers updated on progress where required and ensure customer satisfaction before, during and after works.
Informal enuqiries can be made to Peter Brazier -email@example.com
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.