Support and manage the central payroll team and all service provisions.
Reporting into the Payroll Manager the role will support a team of payroll advisors and administrators.
• Work closely with all Central Staff Hub teams, developing an overview of all relevant teams and how they impact the payroll, embedding a culture of cross-functional work and training.
• Work collaboratively with staff from Worklink and HR to agree the monthly payroll run book to ensure the accuracy and timeliness of relevant data input.
• Lead and develop the payroll team to drive the efficient operation of the 3 monthly payrolls that the office is responsible for delivering using the new Oracle functionality, ensuring a consistent and seamless end-to-end payroll service demonstrating appropriate compliance, governance and control at all times.
• At the same time, work closely with the pensions team to understand the 6 pensions schemes administered by the University, gaining an in-depth knowledge of each scheme and its interrelationship with and impact on the various payrolls.
• Work with and develop individual members of staff across both payroll to build and mould an effective cross functional team, comfortable with being visible to the University at all times and able to support other teams around payroll matters.
• Support the monthly payroll Runbook to ensure all quality checks are made throughout the process to maintain effective control, including leading daily briefings around priorities and workload allocation.
• Manage the dedicated payroll service desk set up to monitor all payroll associated queries, ensuring that queries are appropriately triaged and dealt with in a timely fashion and in accordance with the agreed SLAs, producing monthly performance statistics as required.
• Develop and deliver a training matrix, which ensures that all payroll staff are upskilled with newly embedded systems and any changes implemented.
• Deliver effective people management for the payroll team, including performance and absence management as well as conducting regular 1-2-1’s, staff meetings, PDRs and annual reviews.
• Run and provide data and reports as and when necessary.
• Oversee and report any system issued to the systems team and monitor their resolution closely, devising any workarounds as necessary.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
• Relevant payroll qualification or significant practical experience of running a payroll function.
• Demonstrable experience of working within a shared service, public sector or Higher education environment.
• Experience of Oracle Cloud payroll software or similar software
• Proven experience and track record of team management
• Strong organisational and system skills, demonstrating accuracy and attention to detail;
• Proven experience of strong service delivery and customer service
• Excellent organisational skills with ability to deliver to deadlines.
• Demonstrable experience of customer engagement and effective resolution management
• Ability to demonstrate professionalism and confidentiality;
• Experience of driving change across embedded ways of working by championing new initiatives.
• Willingness to keep up to date with relevant technical and legislative updates.
• Good working knowledge of standard Microsoft Office software
• Ability to work flexibly but effectively both in a team and independently.
• Knowledge of the protected characteristics of the Equality Act 2010, and how to actively ensure in day to day activity in own area that those with protected characteristics are treated equally and fairly.
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.