Post, Portering & Transport Services provides a wide range of logistics solutions to the University of Birmingham. We deliver the highest quality customer service through our local and international expertise. Integral to our success is a strong focus on planning and an ability to meet constant deadlines, complimented by our commitment to reduce our carbon emissions.
The Post holder will be expected to work as part of the Post, Porter and Transport team primarily within Postal Services. They will be responsible for the efficient, sortation, delivery and collection of University internal and external post. They will have a flexible attitude to working patterns and be available as required in order to meet the business needs of all Post, Porter and Transport areas. A Professional customer focus approach is essential.
• The candidate will be required to follow set Delivery/Collection schedules. This will involve the delivery and collection of mails using trolleys and vehicles provided, throughout the University campus.
• Responsible for the sorting of internal and external mails prior to delivery and organise the loading, delivery and collection of all post and parcels.
• Sort and process outgoing mail using high tech machinery and comprehensive software systems.
• Responsible for delivery of secure, valuable and critical mail using a handheld PDA or Smartphone to ensure an authorised signature is captured.
• When required, you will be expected to be flexible and use initiative, prioritising and managing schedules in accordance to the needs of the University.
• The duties will involve lifting and moving heavy sacks and trays of post and parcels
• When required to do so, you will expected to assist the Porter and Transport departments in the transportation of vehicles, staff, furniture and equipment around the University as well as off campus.
• Deliver and collect Stationary, Office Equipment, Confidential Waste and Unwanted furniture on and off campus.
• Setting up furniture for examinations, exhibitions and formal University functions.
• Deliver and collect vehicles being serviced or repaired to external garages
• Carry out cleaning and safety checks on vehicles.
• Drive staff and visitors to selected destinations
• Transport students and visitors to venues and events
Attend all team/briefs/training and department meetings as required and to contribute constructively.
To actively be involved in an annual development review and be expected to undertake a full active part in any training and development identified to enable you to carry out your work effectively; this may include First Aid and Fire Warden training.
You will be required to wear the correct protective and University image clothing. (uniform)
We are looking for eager and enthusiastic people flexible in their approach to work, with a willingness to help other colleagues
Please note that the balance of tasks may vary from time to time, from one Post room assistant to another, as the tasks will be rotated to ensure all staff know how to carry out all elements of the roles. To help provide cover during leave and other occasions of absence.
Any other duties or tasks commensurate with the grade of the post, as requested by the Line Manager, their manager/head of department, senior manager/director or, the Director of Hospitality and Accommodation Services.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications, Experience
Understanding of basic software systems and ability to manage Smart phone/PDA technology
Confident in driving commercial vehicles within your driving licence specifications
Ability to follow detailed schedules and work plans
Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively
Ability to work within differing teams
Demonstrate a flexible approach to work and working hours
Experience in Postal, Porter or a Transport environment would be advantages but not essential
Demonstrating a high level of discretion in dealing with confidential matters.
Informal enquires to Chris Lane -firstname.lastname@example.org
Valuing excellence, sustaining investment
We value diversity and inclusion at the University of Birmingham and welcome applications from all sections of the community and are open to discussions around all forms of flexible working.