What you’ll be doing
The role holder will be accountable for developing and maintaining Health and Safety policy and processes for capital projects which meet the requirements of legislation, regulations, best practice and University and ED policies. The role holder will engage with other University Advisers and representatives through Project Engagement Meetings and with other University and ED staff through committees and meetings, negotiate agreements on policies and procedures and provide drafts and templates for inclusion in the Project Delivery Manual.
The role holder will be required to provide training themselves or where appropriate oversee external training to support the Projects Section.
The role holder will implement and manage procedures and processes to monitor and ensure Health and Safety compliance. The role holder will work with the Projects Section Reporting and Data Officer to develop management reporting tools to meet best practice, and ensure appropriate and accurate information is provided for regular management reports.
- Prior experience of leading the development, drafting and implementation of Health and Safety policies and procedures in the context of a major construction project programme.
- Prior experience leading Health and Safety in a large multi-stakeholder organisation.
- Experience of management reporting requirements and of the development of Health and Safety audit, records and reporting systems.
- Experience of design and management of staff development and training programmes, including staff motivation, encouragement and support.
- Experience of problem solving in the context of project-specific Health, Safety or Environment issues.
- Demonstrable track record in implementing quality standards and systems, with attention to detail.
- Competent negotiation skills and the ability to achieve agreement on Health and Safety issues in a complex multi-stakeholder environment.
- Excellent communication skills. Both in writing and spoken. The ability to present complex issues succinctly and effectively to wide ranging audiences.
- Proven ability to act as a subject expert, challenging thinking of others to develop high-level and robust Health and Safety policies, procedures and appropriate outcomes to individual issues.
- Demonstrable problem-solving ability capable of providing appropriate solutions in the context of design and construction of unique and complex technical facilities.
- Awareness of commercial and value for money aspects.
- Ability to work collaboratively with all within an environment with competing interests and also integrate with the Projects Section.
- Results driven, disciplined and hard-working, with a focus on meeting deadlines
- Computer literate (Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint), knowledge of dedicated Health and Safety software would be an advantage.
- Relevant degree or NEBOSH Diploma/working towards
- Professional Qualification (NEBOSH Certification, IEMA, Lead Auditor)
- Health and Safety membership/ accreditation (IOSH)
This post requires first class interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate with all stakeholders both internal and external to The University of Cambridge at all levels. For success in this role you will also need be a strong team player who uses initiative but with a consultative approach. Holding a strong customer focus you will be committed to excellence in service delivery.
This is an exciting time to join one of the world’s oldest and most successful universities globally.
To apply please send both a CV and a couple of paragraphs on why you feel you are suited to this exciting requirement to firstname.lastname@example.org with reference: MSCAMHSCPD
All direct and third-party applications will be forwarded to Maxwell Stephens.
For a confidential conversation please get in touch with our engaged consultants at Maxwell Stephens; Peter Forshaw (email@example.com) OR Rebecca Simmons (firstname.lastname@example.org) Both on Tel: 0207 118 4848.
Please quote reference BA27929 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.