A Research Assistant/Associate position is available at the Institute for Manufacturing, Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge. The post holder will undertake independent and collaborative research under the guidance of Dr Eoin O’Sullivan (Centre for Science, Technology & Innovation Policy), in collaboration with Tomas Ulrichsen (UCI Policy Evidence Unit).
The post holder will carry out research advancing understanding of the “innovation pathways” involved in the translation of government-funded emerging technology R&D into commercial settings. For interested candidates, the role may also offer opportunities for a short ‘placement’ with the UCI Policy Evidence Unit.
Research topics of particular interest include:
- Government R&I agency ‘commercialisation’ programmes (targeting different stages of technology development, technology lifecycles and industry lifecycles)
- Innovation infrastructure development (e.g. novel R&D tools) for emerging technologies
- Technology demonstration environments (e.g. testbeds, living labs)
- Domain-spanning expertise of translational research and knowledge exchange staff
Other tasks will include:
- Develop research objectives and proposals for own or collaborative research
- Write up research work for presentation and publication
- Manage own research and administrative activities, with guidance if required
- Communicate technical materials to academics and policymakers
- Build external contacts with government agencies
Required qualifications, experience and skills include:
- Relevant PhD (or equivalent) in management, engineering or economics
- Research experience in technology management or innovation economics
- Research experience related to relevant policy topics, e.g.: R&D policy, knowledge exchange
- Record of publishing in high quality technology policy-related academic journals
- Experience of engaging with officials in government agencies
- Experience in mixing quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Strong writing skills, including ability to communicate complex concepts to stakeholders
Salary Ranges: Research Assistant: £27,116 – £31,406; Research Associate: £33,309 – £40,927
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 18 months in the first instance.
Click the ‘Apply’ button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Please ensure that you upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV), covering letter, and research publication list in the Upload section of the online application. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application. Please submit your application by midnight on the closing date.
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please contact either Dr Eoin O’Sullivan (email: email@example.com) for queries of a technical nature related to the role or Geraldine Guceri (firstname.lastname@example.org) for queries related to the application process.
Please quote reference NM29468 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
- HR7_Research Assistant Associate in Innovation Pathways for Public-sector Technology