A Research Associate (RA) position is available at the Institute for Manufacturing (IfM), Department of Engineering, University of Cambridge to work on a project related to ‘roadmapping’ foresight for government science & technology strategy. The RA will undertake research under the guidance of Dr Eoin O’Sullivan (Centre for Science, Technology & Innovation Policy), in collaboration with Dr Rob Phaal (Centre for Technology Management).
For interested candidates, the role may also offer opportunities for short ‘placements’ with policy partners or IfM Engage (IfM’s not-for-profit knowledge transfer company).
Key responsibilities include research on some or all of the following:
- Configuring roadmapping frameworks for policy topics, e.g.: technology scale-up; challenge-led R&D; regional innovation
- Integrating roadmapping evidence with other foresight data
- Strengthening the theoretical underpinnings of roadmapping
Other tasks will include some or all of:
- Develop research objectives and proposals for own or collaborative research
- Write up research work for presentation and publication
- Manage own research and administrative activities, with guidance if required
- Communicate technical materials to academics and policymakers
- Build external contacts with relevant government agencies
- Plan and manage own research activity in collaboration with others
Qualifications, experience and skills required to perform the role:
- Relevant PhD (or equivalent) in management, engineering or economics
- Research experience in technology management or innovation policy
- Research experience in relevant policy areas, e.g.: Technology foresight, R&D policy
- Record of publishing in high quality technology policy-related academic journals
- Experience of engaging with officials in government innovation agencies
- Experience in mixing quantitative and qualitative analyses
- Strong writing skills, including ability to communicate complex concepts to stakeholders.
Salary Ranges: Research Assistant: £27,116 – £31,406Research Associate: £33,309 – £40,927
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 18 months in the first instance.
Click the ‘Apply’ button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Please ensure that you upload your Curriculum Vitae (CV), covering letter, and research publication list in the Upload section of the online application. If you upload any additional documents which have not been requested, we will not be able to consider these as part of your application. Please submit your application by midnight on the closing date.
If you have any questions about this vacancy or the application process, please contact:
- Dr Eoin O’Sullivan (email: email@example.com) for queries of a technical nature related to the role
- Geraldine Guceri (firstname.lastname@example.org) for queries related to the application process
Please quote reference NM29427 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
- HR7_Further Particulars